screen-devel

[screen-devel] -Q (was: Re: Extend windows command, introduce Xx string

From: Axel Beckert
Subject: [screen-devel] -Q (was: Re: Extend windows command, introduce Xx string) escape
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 09:36:58 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:42:31AM +0100, Amadeusz Sławiński wrote:
> Oh nice
> % ./screen -S 18034 -Q windows "%n %t\n"
> 0 zsh
> 1 man
> 2 bash

Apropos -Q:

-Q is nice, but I find it annoying that it still triggers a message
inside screen and even waits seconds for return until that message has
disappeared.

IMHO -Q should not trigger any output inside the screen session and
return immediately.

That way you could e.g. show in your prompt in which screen window the
shell runs. (Tried to use that for demoing screen recently. I use the
output of "tty" in the prompt now.)

                Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | address@hidden  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.nonhtmlmail.org/campaign.html | address@hidden (Mail+Jabber)