Re: New screen features available

From: Brian Mathis
Subject: Re: New screen features available
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 16:06:30 -0500

Andy Harrison wrote:
On 2/9/07, Michael Schroeder
<address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 01:47:55PM -0500, Brian Mathis wrote:
> I'm not sure my description is good enough, but the idea is that on a
> wide terminal, you could split that space into 2, and create an extra
> long terminal for 1 program to use.

This is actually doable, It's just a matter of setting up the
"viewports" in the "canvas". Compile screen with -DHOLE to get
another example of a non-standard layout.

How about the other screen users? Do you think it's worth to
implement something like this?

I don't see this as an important feature.  The suggested example can
already be accomplished easily in vim, especially with the
'scrollbind' feature.  Having an extra long terminal just isn't that
big of a deal when screen's scrollback buffer is so easily accessible.

This feature in vim is definitely similar, but that's just one application. There are many more where making this type of functionality available would apply across the board. It would be useful in all sorts of editors, email clients, irc, etc... and not everyone uses vim. The beauty of screen is that you don't need an implementation of this type of window control in every app independently. I think it takes the idea of virtual terminals to a new level.