local and remote screens

From: Rich Boyce
Subject: local and remote screens
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:10:48 +0000

Hello all,

I've just started using screen in earnest, and am very impressed. However, I'm currently struggling with one thing.

If I start screen on my local machine (tom), log into another (dick) through SSH, then detach, I cannot reattach to the session when I log into dick from a third machine, harry. This is because the screen session is actually on tom; I therefore need to log into tom in order to reattach. If tom is shut down, I (presumably) lose my session.

At the moment I'm not running screen on my local machine, and only on remote machines after SSHing in. This lets me reattach after connecting from a third machine. I'd like to run screen on my local machine too, but maintain the ability to detach/reattach on remote machines. How do you accomplish this? Is there a magic screen option I'm missing?

Thanks,
Rich