Re: local and remote screens

From: Pia Mikeal
Subject: Re: local and remote screens
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:42:12 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Rich Boyce wrote:

^a a d
where ^ denotes the control key.

Bingo! Nested screens seems to be what I was after, and works for me. I tried nested screens before, but didn't know about the ^a-a-d to control the nested screen session, so I could only control the top-level screen. This is perfect.

You can nest screens quite deep. Just add an extra "a" for the control character for each screen you are nested deep, and this works for all screen commands. So just as ^a d detaches one level deep, ^a a d two levels, ^a a a d would detach 3 levels deep. Likewise, to open a new window in a screen one level deep ^a c and a window in a screen two levels deep such as the remote screen you were talking about here would be ^a a c

Certainly does! Thanks very much,

You are welcome!  I am glad to help!

Pia Mikeal
System Administrator