[Simulavr-devel] Re: savannah.gnu.org

From: reinhard . jessich
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Re: savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:36:52 +0100

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> Question:
>
> Should I try to get my existing cvs tree moved over there or should I just
> import the latest versions? Personally, I'd rather have all the cvs tree
> moved over. I don't know how much that matters, since I can archive it
> here. Comments?
I don't know how complicated this is. It is better to have the current version
in CVS, than to have all, but you need a lot of time to put it there.
I don't think it is possible to put you complete tree. You have to checkout the
first version, commit it to the new CVS. Then the next version and so on.
You have 46 versions in you ChangeLog file. This sounds like much work, its
your decission. I would add only the latest release or if you like the last 12
releases, which you have provided.

I don't know the tag scheme for GNU projects, but we use the following in our
prefix := ir ... internal release (for ongoing development)
             <prefix>_a_b_c .. branch from version <prefix>_a_b_c (for ongoing
                                         development)
             er .. external release (delivered)
major := incremented if it is an incompatible change or the functionality has
             been changed significant
minor := incremented for each new version, which is compatible with the old
             version (this counts really often)
bugfix := a bugfix for the release

We write all changes in the ChangeLog file and the release associated to this
changes (e.g.: ir_0_15_0 (rjessich on Tue Sep 25 09:43:45 CEST 2001).
The cvs commit comment is only the release number mentioned above.

Take this as a suggestion for further discussions.

Regards,
   Reinhard

PS: I am rjessich on savannah and my user id is 4242. I think you need it to
      put me to the developer list (if you like).

--
 Ing. Reinhard Jessich              mailto: address@hidden
 A-1190 Vienna, Goergengasse 2/2/1  phone: +43/1/3692600