Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulavr-0.0.12 released

From: reinhard . jessich
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Re: [avr-gcc-list] simulavr-0.0.12 released
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:18:56 +0100

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
> I've applied this patch. From now on I'll always be doing my builds from a
> separate directory so I'll be able to catch lapses like this. I hadn't
> tested this feature of autoconf yet. I use it all the time for
> gcc/gdb/etc. I should have been using it before this point. Thanks for the
> fix.
It was a pleasure to help you. Shall the html/pdf documentation get installed
anywhere? We could add a configure option for the path, where it shall be
installed. I think this could be usefull.

> The endless loop is inevitable since avr-gcc automagically adds a
> while(1); like instruction after main() returns. There's really nothing
> that can be done about it in simulavr.
I see no problem here. it is code generated by the compiler and it shouldn't be
changed.

> I've had good luck with C-c in
> simulavr to which _should_ sent gdb a reply indicating that a break
> occured.
I have done this also, but as I described in my scenario, this is not how it
should be done, I think.

> gdb tends to not handle while(1); and for(;;); type constructs
> very well. This is true of all arches, I tried it on a native linux
> system, not pleasant.
I don't think, that gdb should do something. The source is as it is.
I think simulavr, should handle the break request from gdb. That's it. See my
last email with the suggestions about this issue.

> I'll have to look into this some more. Try the extended remote protocol
> for now and see what happens.
So you will continue to implement this part.

Please correct me, but I think you have the same scenario for the work with
simulavr in mind than I have. If you would like to have me as a developer for
this project, than we need to define who does what in this project.

As you mentioned in an email before, you would like to finish the work on gdb
and the interface with simulavr. I have seen that there is a remote-sim backend
for gdb. Do you know when this shall be used? I have seen, that simulavr used
the real remote protocol and remote-sim.

I would like to investigate the interface to the outside world, because I need
this interface to simulate the hardware for my home automation sytem.
I don't know what the other people would like to do. Suggestions?

> Thanks for the compliment. I've been working pretty hard on this for about
> four months now and all the interest I've had lately is extremely
> appreciated.
I hope we will make a big jump forward in the next weeks. I have to build my
house, when the snow is gone (currently it is realy cold in Vienna, it may take
a while) and I have a lot of work in my company, but I need my home automation
system ready in Q2/2002. So I need to spend a lot of sparetime for this project.

Regards,
   Reinhard

--
 Ing. Reinhard Jessich              mailto: address@hidden
 A-1190 Vienna, Goergengasse 2/2/1  phone: +43/1/3692600