[Simulavr-devel] Re: savannah.gnu.org

From: Theodore A. Roth
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] Re: savannah.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 14:25:39 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, address@hidden wrote:

:)On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Theodore A. Roth wrote:
:)> Question:
:)>
:)> Should I try to get my existing cvs tree moved over there or should I just
:)> import the latest versions? Personally, I'd rather have all the cvs tree
:)> moved over. I don't know how much that matters, since I can archive it
:)> here. Comments?

:)I don't know how complicated this is. It is better to have the current version
:)in CVS, than to have all, but you need a lot of time to put it there.
:)I don't think it is possible to put you complete tree. You have to checkout
the
:)first version, commit it to the new CVS. Then the next version and so on.

It's fairly trivial to get my cvs repository moved over. I just
make a tarball, send it to the savannah guys and they install it. I've
already requested to have this done.

:)You have 46 versions in you ChangeLog file. This sounds like much work, its
:)your decission. I would add only the latest release or if you like the last 12
:)releases, which you have provided.

I consider versions the tagged releases, ie 0.0.10, 0.0.11, etc. The 46
versions in the ChangeLog are really all the cvs commit comments. I've
been using emacs to update the ChangeLog directly from the cvs repository
files (it's trivial: C-x v a).

:)
:)I don't know the tag scheme for GNU projects, but we use the following in our
:)prefix := ir ... internal release (for ongoing development)
:)             <prefix>_a_b_c .. branch from version <prefix>_a_b_c (for ongoing
:)                                         development)
:)             er .. external release (delivered)
:)major := incremented if it is an incompatible change or the functionality has
:)             been changed significant
:)minor := incremented for each new version, which is compatible with the old
:)             version (this counts really often)
:)bugfix := a bugfix for the release
:)
:)We write all changes in the ChangeLog file and the release associated to this
:)changes (e.g.: ir_0_15_0 (rjessich on Tue Sep 25 09:43:45 CEST 2001).
:)The cvs commit comment is only the release number mentioned above.

As above, all entries in ChangeLog are taken verbatum from the cvs commit
comments. I don't see a need to tag every change that is made. I'm only
tagging when I need to mark the state of the project as a whole. I could
be wrong on this though.

I haven't given a tremendous amount of thought to versioning schemes since
development is still in the early stages. I'm open for discussion on this.
Might be useful to setup some targets for upcoming releases.

:)
:)Take this as a suggestion for further discussions.
:)
:)Regards,
:)   Reinhard
:)
:)PS: I am rjessich on savannah and my user id is 4242. I think you need it to
:)      put me to the developer list (if you like).
:)
:)