Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware

From: Bruce R'. Miller
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] SimulAVR + simulated hardware
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:04:04 -0800

On Thursday 15 January 2004 08:31, E. Weddington wrote:
> In Ted's defense:

I don't believe that anyone here would dream of attacking Ted.  I see a number
of people offering to help out.

> I don't mean this to sound bad, but as with all open source projects, it's
> "put your money where your mouth is". In other words, if you feel that
> simulavr would greatly benefit from C++ then by all means re-architecture
> it. If you can get it working better and put in features faster than Ted,
> et al. can, then I'm sure that Ted's a reasonable guy and he might very
> well change over.

I offered to do a C++ port when I first started looking at Simulavr but I
wasn't going to do it if no one was interested.  A couple weeks later Klaus
trumped me by actually going ahead and doing it.  Another way of going about
this is to take the current code as is just start using a C++ compiler to
build it.  So, the work has been done and the money is in the same place as
the mouth.  C++ makes it much easier to architect and maintain the code.  The
modularity causes code changes to me much more localized.  And the compiler's
syntax checker forces the code contributor to do much of the work that would
normally fall to the code maintainer/debugger/user (i.e. Ted).  These are all
pro-Ted issues.

Looking back, I see a lot of instances where Ted received patches that
conflicted with work already in progress.  This seems to be the case often
with C since it is lacking in abstraction mechanisms.  He then has to reject
the patch or else rely on a very small CVS window to get everything
integrated.  C++'s modularity addresses exactly this issue resulting in more
free time for Ted to spend with his alleged girlfriend.  :)

-b