Re: [Simulavr-devel] Executive decision: status-quo on names, request fo

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Executive decision: status-quo on names, request for help in addressing confution issue.
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 01:23:52 -0500

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: Bill <address@hidden>
Now for some rambling:
I have heard some report that simulavr C, and that make interfacing
easier somehow, and they don't need to install C++...
1.)I don't understand why installing C++ is a problem, so I may find
enligthenment there.
2.) What is the problem interfacing C and C++? I assume it has to do
with the C++ runtime initialization requirements being different from
C? I wouldn't mind someone trying to explain this to me, off-list if
desired. Perhaps there is something worth accomodating in the C++ code?

A few observations:

- simply put, for one, I can build simulavr, not simulavrxx on OSX (but
 sorry haven't had the time to try to identify/fix the problem)

- given the current somewhat fragile/transitionary state of the avr's
 tool chain, I (and possibly others) would rather not try to deal with
 attempting to debug mixed C/C++ code at the moment if avoidable, one
 thing a time, as GDB itself is likely to break as soon as it's decided
 to delete the old depreciated hooks that avr presently depends on, etc.

(so although those who desire to concentrate efforts on simulavrxx, may
well be justified; it's not a short term option for myself at the moment;
which may change if it becomes useful to me prior to my fixing it myself)
Hmm...seems you have a choice then! That's a good thing.

FWIW, I don't see it as "concentrating efforts on simualvrxx". Klaus and I have no interest in simulavr, that's all.

Anyone that wants to step up and work on it, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. They just need to contact me and Klaus (maybe only me, I should not speak for Kluas)