Re: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and co

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] docs and naming [was: Re: Emergency Makefile and config.h for manual configuration]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:48:41 -0700

Paul Schlie wrote:

From: "E. Weddington" <address@hidden>

Paul Schlie wrote:

I feel that if you continue to call it simulavrxx, it will just make it
more confusing to users as to what it is.

I would like to propose that you call it simulavr, but with a different
version number please. I understand that the internals are vastly different.
- please don't. simulavrxx (or whatever one chooses to name it) should not
be implied to the most current release of simulavr, implying that the C
based simulavr is dead, as there are definite advantages to having a plain
old C based simulator, which doesn't require C++ to build, thereby possibly
allowing it to be more easily integrated with/into other tools
If this is the case, then the project itself should be renamed on Savannah.

And then one would have to explain, over and over, what the heck the two
"X"s at the end of the name mean..... (Why two? Why not 3?....Huh?)

Unless I misunderstand, simulavrxx was hosted on simulavr project site as a
convenience/courtesy; with no implications beyond that. I'd guess both
projects can/should continue to be co-hosted but use separate cvs sub-
directories for each?

Which they are.

Personally the name simulavrxx seems reasonable, and shouldn't be confusing
given it's heritage (but could possibly be more clearly explained); my only
concern is that it not be unnecessarily cast as simulavr's most current
release, as it's not.

It's reasonable to us because we're developers.
Try explaining it to the... (let me check)... 33,000+ users who download WinAVR. A simple name would suffice and be helpful.