Re: [Simulavr-devel] A new simulavrxx user

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] A new simulavrxx user
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:31:11 +0100 (MET)

Hi Till,

> Hi list,
>
> i am new to simulavrxx and have just started using it. It's not easy
> without
> dokumentation,
there is allready a very small documentation in doc directory.
Maybe look at cvs for a bit more actual one.

> but i am slowly making progress. I am using the version
> 0.8.005 from the tarball.
>
> What is working so far:
> - i can run the anacomp example with and without debugger
> - i can run some of my code including rs232 output
> - i have modified gui.tcl to allow the rs232 output window
>   to scroll
> - i figured out that the rs232 emulation runs at 115200 bit/s

You can give the timeing as parameter for the serial "window".

> What i am still struggling with:
> - the tcl interpreter fails with "clsing brace missing" when the serial
> output
>   contains an "[". Somehow the tcl interpreter seems to parse this brace
Thats right that this is wrong. Also some other "chars" could not parsed
through the very simple interface. There is actual no filter to
build escape sequences for this chars. This is on the list.

> - the rs232 output gets currupted when the debugger starts. The program is
>   actually already being executed before the debugger starts up.
That effect is not seen before. Can you give a more detailed description
please. Maybe example code and the Makefiles and scrips you are running?

> Then the
>   debugger stops the program and it looks like the rs232 output is out of
>   sync afterwards

I must also ask you for sample code.

> I think i read somewhere, that there's some interface for debug output in
> simulavrxx.

If you give simulavrxx --help you will be able to see all command line
options. There you can see that a -t <file> enable the tracing into
the file <file>.

> Where is this and how does it work?
It simply writes every executed assembler command with labels, var names,
values and a lot other information into the tracefile. Also the
actual time is written to the file then.

> I use the rs232 for debug
> output only, so i might very well switch to the debug interface.

You can also use the pipe interface for that reason. There is
a "special" version of at90s8515 as example where you have a
simulated hardware register which is piped to a named unix pipe.

But I am wondering why you do not use the normal gdb debugger with
breakpoints? This works fine, if not please write a mail :-)

Regards
   Klaus

--
"Happy ProMail" bis 24. März: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail
Zum 6. Geburtstag gibt's GMX ProMail jetzt 66 Tage kostenlos!