Re: [Simulavr-devel] OSX compilation

From: Klaus Rudolph
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] OSX compilation
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:50:06 +0200 (MEST)

> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to get simulavrxx to work on OS X 10.3.9. I have
> read the thread on this subject earlier in this group, but it seemed to
have
> died without a resolution.
> After altering the generated makefiles to manually point to libiberty and
> the tcl stuff, the compilation went quite far and only stop at the
> generation of simulavr.so. This is because the osx gcc doesn't know about
the
> -shared flag as I learned. I understand that for a shared librarary to
work you
> need to set some no-commons flag. Tryed that, but no joy.
> However, I noticed that even without the .so file it actually creates a
> simulavr executable which seems to start. It doesn't seem to accept any
elf
> files though (I tried the .elf files generated by avr-binutils) (says
> something like illegal opcode found).
> Anything you guys could help me with?

Seems to be no problem. As noticed in an also older discussion
there is a need to detect the endianess of the host system.
This macro whcih should be run from configure script must provide
a macro for the compiler which can be tested and generate some
lines of special code.

As I know Bill has started with the macro integration. After the macro
is usable from the code I will prepare the lines in flash.cpp
for that purpose.

If you have fun on this topic you could spend some minutes and dig into
flash.cpp yourself. There you will find some lines where code is
read from the libbfd and putted into the "internal avr memory". There
are some lines (sorry, no sourcecode actually present to me)
where low/high byte are swapped. If you remove this byte swapping
you should be able to use the simualtor.

Please answer this mail if you tried this! All discussions stopped at the
point where Bill and I have started to solve the problems but nobody
tests the changes so we dropped them.

Thanks for your help!

Klaus