Re: [Simulavr-devel] Error in startup script: can't find package Itcl

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Error in startup script: can't find package Itcl
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 06:16:20 -0500

Schwichtenberg, Knut wrote:
Gents,

I think there are two things around: Joel is talking about the latest version and Michael talks about checkdebug.tcl which is NOT part of the latest version (CVS HEAD)!

Yes but I am confused as to what source version he has.
Different errors indicate different dates on the source.
Second Itcl is needed! gui.tcl relies on Itcl. If the package manager of fedora is case sensitive try it with a lower case "i". Gui.tcl needs it definitively. I expect checkdebug simplfies the handling of the missing package - while gui.tcl needs it checkdebug throws the error message before gui.tcl is startet.
Yes gui.tcl needs it but none of the check scripts do.
And please do not mix up RPM-package names and TCL package names. They might be
identical but there is no need! So itcl.rpm can of course contain TCL-package
Itcl.

:) I always have trouble remembering vim-X11 which doesn't
get loaded by default.  It's the first package I add on a new
install.

--joel
Cheers, Knut

Joel Sherrill wrote:
   I encountered the following problem:

       address@hidden anacomp]$ make dogdb
       /usr/bin/wish checkdebug.tcl
       Error in startup script: can't find package Itcl
       while executing
       "package require Itcl"
       (file "checkdebug.tcl" line 9)
       make: *** [dogdb] Error 1
address@hidden anacomp]$

   I dealt with it before, but don't remember how.
   Google hasn't helped. I'm not sure what name to ask for:

I don't believe any of them actually require Itcl.  Try deleting the line.

FWIW if anacomp still has that you are not running the CVS head.

       address@hidden local]# yum provides Itcl
       Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
       fedora | 2.4 kB 00:00
       rpmfusion-free-updates | 2.7 kB 00:00
       rpmfusion-nonfree-updates | 2.7 kB 00:00
       rpmfusion-free | 951 B 00:00
       updates-newkey | 2.3 kB 00:00
       freshrpms | 2.4 kB 00:00 rpmfusion-nonfree | 951 B 00:00
       updates | 2.6 kB 00:00
       Warning: 3.0.x versions of yum would erronously match against filenames.
       You can use "*/Itcl" and/or "*bin/Itcl" to get that behaviour
       No Matches found
       You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
       address@hidden local]# yum provides "*/*Itcl*"
       Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit updates-newkey/filelists_db | 7.5 MB
00:19
       No Matches found

   I do have tcl and tk installed.

   Michael Hennebry
   address@hidden
This mail is made from 100% recycled electrons.