Re: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed with thedeveloment o

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed with thedeveloment on GIT repo?
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:32:03 +0200

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> I don't understand the reasonsing for this. The purpose of Savannah,
> is to provide central project management, including a revision
> control system. I have no overwhelming objection to using git, but I
> would like to understand the reasoning why the current CVS
> repository is unacceptable, or why SVN is unacceptable that it
> requires that we use git.

git is available on savannah as well.  I don't really know why it's
really that much better though, but I wouldn't object if that is the
general consensus among the active developers.  It's those people who
have to work with it, so it's their decision.

But like Eric, I'd like to point out that any active developer should
simply be a registered member within the savannah group, so he gets
VCS write access, regardless of which VCS is chosen.

> Personally, I do have a problem making the "official" repository
> offsite away from Savannah.

Me too.  Anything else would be yet another code fork.

Also, please don't forget that the historic simulavr code base should
not be just dropped under the carpet when migrating.  It is part of
the project, there are at least still some users of it (among others,
avr-libc's test suite has not been migrated to simulavrxx), and the
minimum requirement I'd like to see for simulavrxx before even
considering to completely deprecate the old code base would be that
simulavrxx starts making official releases of some kind, within a sort
of regular interval.  Amonng other things, I'd need such releases to
make the code go into the FreeBSD ports tree.  Just checking out a VCS
snapshot doesn't give me a warm feeling about the status of the
project.  (I don't care though whether these releases are named
"simulavr" or "simulavrxx"; if the former, then please start with
version 1.0, to make it well distinguishable from the old 0.1.x
versions.)