RE: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed withthedeveloment on GIT

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: RE: [Simulavr-devel] Discussion: how to proceed withthedeveloment on GIT repo?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:53:54 -0600

LOL!

The simulavr project is, for better or worse, very informal. Joerg and I don't
really do any development. We're just more in a "caretaker" role. I know that
Joel Sherrill was doing more of the development recently. Because of his
experience I deferred to him about the review and commit process. However, I
don't know if Joel wants to remain active in this project or not.

I can't speak for Joerg, but I imagine that he and I are very flexible about
the direction of the project, as well as the review and commit process. I think
that our major goals are very simple:
- Encourage active development by community members
- Ensure that the project "progresses" (vaguely defined)

I don't care how the project progresses, meaning that I don't have any say in
architecture or direction, or how a particular feature should be implemented.
My only personal concern is that it continues to build for, and run on, Windows
either Cygwin or MinGW (preferrably MinGW). I think that no one wants that the
project go "backwards", meaning that it continues to build on the same
platforms, that there aren't any serious regressions. Yes, I understand that
there is very little testing in place to ensure this, so I have to trust that
the developers keep this in mind when working on this project.

This is why I'm more than happy to add people to the project as developers or
admins, as long as these overarching goals are kept in mind. I don't think that
consensus would be that hard to reach in getting features added.

Honetly though, I think that the continued discussion about which VCS to use is
a big distraction. It's more important to move simulavr forward, and the VCS is
just a tool to help us keep track of the code. I don't care which one is used:
CVS, SVN, or git. There are tradeoffs wherever we go. If git is chosen, then
more time would have to be spent changing over the VCS instead of working on
simulavr.

Eric