Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:53:28 +0100

Hi Michael,

I was wrong.
I'm not making progress.
I've attached my latest effort.

sorry for my late answer, I was a little bit busy last days.

After your posting I've tried again, what I've done to convert a CVS repo to git. So I'll give you a script, which works on my box. If it works, you get a base for more experiments. If not, then I think, something is wrong with your git.

Maybe the problem is, that you try to read in CVS repo in a existing git repo. I remember, that this wasn't working - why? I don't know. So the way is to convert CVS repo in a fresh GIT repo at first. And from this repo you can pull it into any other GIT repo. That was my way to solve the problem.

#!/bin/bash
# set the repo name for a not existing repo (aka directory!)
GIT_REPO=simulavr-from-cvs
# the git (!) branch name for the converted repo
BRANCH_NAME=cvs-upstream
# CVS server url
SURL=pserver:address@hidden:/sources/simulavr
# create the directory for git repo
mkdir $GIT_REPO
# change wd there
cd $GIT_REPO
# and lets dance ... (it takes a while ...)
# this converts simulavrxx path!
git cvsimport -o $BRANCH_NAME -k -i -m -v -d:$SURL simulavrxx

Hope, this helps. cu, Thomas