Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] version control systems
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:24:38 -0700

On Wed Jan 13 11:53 , ThomasK  sent:

>Hi Michael,
>
>> I was wrong.
>> I'm not making progress.
>> I've attached my latest effort.
>
>sorry for my late answer, I was a little bit busy last days.
>
>After your posting I've tried again, what I've done to convert a CVS
>repo to git. So I'll give you a script, which works on my box. If it
>works, you get a base for more experiments. If not, then I think,
>something is wrong with your git.

Thanks, I'll try it when I get home.

>Maybe the problem is, that you try to read in CVS repo in a existing git
>repo. I remember, that this wasn't working - why? I don't know. So the

I made sure the new rep didn't already exist.
Also, I used a local copy of the CVS rep (not just a checkout).
I think that that is supposed to speed things up.

>way is to convert CVS repo in a fresh GIT repo at first. And from this
>repo you can pull it into any other GIT repo. That was my way to solve
>the problem.

I'll try the script when I get home.
If it works, I'll try to figure out why my method didn't.

>#!/bin/bash
># set the repo name for a not existing repo (aka directory!)
>GIT_REPO=simulavr-from-cvs
># the git (!) branch name for the converted repo
>BRANCH_NAME=cvs-upstream
># CVS server url
>SURL=pserver:address@hidden:/sources/simulavr
># create the directory for git repo
>mkdir $GIT_REPO
># change wd there
>cd $GIT_REPO
># and lets dance ... (it takes a while ...)
># this converts simulavrxx path!
>git cvsimport -o $BRANCH_NAME -k -i -m -v -d:$SURL simulavrxx

IIRC the desired repository would have both branches.
By itself, simulavrxx would not be enough.

---
Michael Hennebry
address@hidden
"War is only a hobby."