Re: [Simulavr-devel] dump manager and special trace options

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] dump manager and special trace options
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 09:37:20 +0100

Hi Klaus,

-c <tracing-option>   Enables a tracer with a set of options. The format for
                       <tracing-option> is:
                       <tracer>[:further-options ...]
-o <trace-value-file> Specifies a file into which all available trace
value names
                       will be written.

To answer this: Onno has added some code to produce a VCD trace out. What does it make? You can see the time behaviour for the output pins, when and with which value a register is written and such.

prompt> simulavr -datmega32 -o -

lists out to stdout (if "-" is replaced by filename, then to file), which register and lines are available to trace. So:

prompt> # write a signals file to select, which register and
prompt> # signals you want to ovserve
prompt> simulavr -datmega32 -o test.sig
prompt> # edit test.sig, remove all lines, which you don't want to see
prompt> # make a simulation and write a test.vcd file
prompt> simulavr -datmega32 -m 1000000 -c vcd:test.sig:test.vcd -f target.elf
prompt> # display test.vcd with gtkwave
prompt> gtkwave test.vcd

If you have run regression test by running "make check", then you can find some *.vcd in regress/timertest!

I have planned to write a howto as documentation for that in our simulavr documentation, but in the moment, it's just on my TODO list ... :-)

cu, Thomas