Re: [Simulavr-devel] Settings for stackpointer

From: Thomas K
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] Settings for stackpointer
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 17:53:18 +0100

Hi guys,

don't worry ...

@Klaus: maybe tiny11/12/15 was implemented in the "old" version 0.1.2.6?
It wasn't since I'm "on board"! And with the source control system it's easy to
check ... So, I don't agree, that so many features are dropped! I think, it
should
mean, that many things are added ... and - this is possible (and happen, I
know) - that
these changes have things broken accidentally. (most because of missing docu -
and
I haven't forgotten your request about docu for PortPin, it's in work. But you
know
... god has made the clock, but humans have made the computer!)

If somebody implement this parts or one of it - welcome!

BTW: Can we start to develop new features on branches and merge later on
the master? It is much easier to play around with the code base if we
can go to an older version, merge some branches in and get the things to
work. Cherry picking of single commits is not as easy I believe. :-)

Why not upload "development" branches. Git is made for that! There should be
one agreement:
only the owner=creator of this branch should change (except there is somebody
explicit invited
to change too) And the owner can also remove such branch without notice (even
if it would be
better to inform the list) And such branches should not live "forever" (in the
meaning of
holding a parallel production version - then it would be better to fork - as
Markus made
for example on github!) And maybe one more agreement: naming of such branches with
"dev" or so and
userid to mark this as development branch from a particular developer.

Cherry picking is easy - sometimes. :-) It depends on how and what. I've cherry
picked a few days ago
some changes from master branch to rel-1.1 branch. Just one command and
finished ... (but I know,
that there are cases, where it's better - because less effort - to copy source
and create a new commit)

I especially ask for that, because I want to create my own branch where
I will get the old tcl interface and the old tracing stuff to work
again.

You got a "like" from me for this plan! :-) My problem is, that I don't use tcl
and have not
time to support it in all features ... (even if it should work basically!)

And if so, it is easier to get new features with merging branches and not by
cherry
picking unordered commits.

This is definitively right.

I also need the decoded instructions in the
more or less old version to have the trace info which was dropped from
the current source.

What's dropped? Sure, there are some changes in this section and so there is
maybe some output different
from the old version. But it shouldn't be lost!

cu, Thomas