sketch-devel

Re: Current GUI

From: Bernhard Reiter
Subject: Re: Current GUI
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:56:17 +0100

Hi Tobias,

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:47:28AM +0100, Tobias Hilbricht wrote:
> I had a look at the current developers version of Skencil and enjoyed the
> improvements which come with the port to GTK+.

thanks for testing it.
We are constantly seeking more help with it, btw.

> However, the very Gimp-like
> way Skencil appears in the developers version is not what I prefer in
> comparison with the stable version of Skencil.
>
> When you start Skencil, a meagre little box pops up showing tools which you
> cannot use at this stage and menu items, of which only one - File - is useful
> at this time. This appears to me as a combination of minimalism with
> superfluity.
>
> One way to start Skencil would be to open a dialog asking the user if he/she
> wishes to create a new document, continue an existing document - perhaps
> taking the last edited as default and offering others as options - or to
> close. I would like it, if in the back of this new little starting dialog the
> Skencil main panel comes up it looks like in the current stable version, with
> menu, tool bar, palettes etc.
>
> It has its reasons in usability and expectations that most
> applications do not behave like The Gimp. I know quite some people
> who do not like to use Gimp because of its strange start and
> workspace organization, apart from technical draw backs. What
> advantages has the Gimp-way, apart from being different?

The question is how to handle the multi-document case.

> I noticed that this issue has been discussed on this list last november. I
> want to give my opinion on this issue because feedback is part of
> development.

Thanks for thinking about iit and taking the time to write down your opinion.
Personally I also like the idea of keeping a consistant view
from Skencil 0.6 to 0.7 and I think that it is a matter of
development power to keep that possibility.

        Bernhard R.