sketch-devel

Current GUI

From: Tobias Hilbricht
Subject: Current GUI
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:47:28 +0100

Dear readers of this list,

I had a look at the current developers version of Skencil and enjoyed the
improvements which come with the port to GTK+. However, the very Gimp-like
way Skencil appears in the developers version is not what I prefer in
comparison with the stable version of Skencil.

When you start Skencil, a meagre little box pops up showing tools which you
cannot use at this stage and menu items, of which only one - File - is useful
at this time. This appears to me as a combination of minimalism with
superfluity.

One way to start Skencil would be to open a dialog asking the user if he/she
wishes to create a new document, continue an existing document - perhaps
taking the last edited as default and offering others as options - or to
close. I would like it, if in the back of this new little starting dialog the
Skencil main panel comes up it looks like in the current stable version, with
menu, tool bar, palettes etc.

It has its reasons in usability and expectations that most applications do not
behave like The Gimp. I know quite some people who do not like to use Gimp
because of its strange start and workspace organization, apart from technical
draw backs. What advantages has the Gimp-way, apart from being different?

I noticed that this issue has been discussed on this list last november. I
want to give my opinion on this issue because feedback is part of
development.

Yours sincerely

Tobias Hilbricht

--