sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Down since Sunday

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Down since Sunday
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:45:15 -0600

On 25 Feb 2004 at 7:44, Yaron M. Minsky wrote:
> Why do you restart SKS when you get a IP from your ADSL?  That
shouldn't
> be necessary.  What you do need is for your gossip partners to
refresh
> their idea of your IP address, which is done automatically every
hour in
> recent versions of SKS.

The interface can change addresses, or completely disappear and
reappear, at any time.  When my "master" script sees this it reloads
the firewall script (to account for the new IP) and restarts any
service I've found to be "sensitive" to such things.  At one point I
thought SKS wasn't reacting well to the abrupt changes, so I arranged
for it to restart.

I've tried to point out my dynamic-IP to my partners so they can
touch the file periodically.

> Could you post your cron script?  I suspect that may have something
> do with your dead server.

Ok, you asked for it.  :)
http://dannyj.dynip.com/files/SKS-scripts.tgz

In a nutshell, StartSKS calls sks_db/sks_recon if they are not
already running and makes log entries appropriately.  StopSKS just
calls "stopsks" and makes a long entry.  RestartSKS looks for the
flag set by addr-change (the IP monitoring script) and calls
StopSKS/StartSKS as needed, with delays and a provision to prevent
rapidly restarting SKS.

> And yes, you should probably upgrade to a recent version.  I think
the
> latest CVS version is good bet.  I'll probably create a new release
for
> it in the next few days.

Alright, I'll look into it then.  Won't have to do anything to the
db, right?

- --
Through the modem, off the server, over the T1, past the frame-relay,
< < NOTHIN' BUT NET > >

Daniel Johnson
address@hidden
http://dannyj.come.to/