sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page

From: Olaf Gellert
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:46:33 +0100

Yaron Minsky wrote:
blacklisting keys is a good and useful idea.  It's on my list, but I
haven't gotten around to implementing it.  There are some complications --
for example, lets say I blacklist a key and you don't.  Then every time we
reconcile, we will rediscover this difference between our sets.

Filters (e.g., yminsky.dedup, yminsky.merge) can also be used for killing
off keys.  The default then is that you only gossip with people who have
applied the same set of filters.  This could be useful for recovering from
a big DOS attack.  Basically, a new version of SKS would be sent out with
code for finding and removing the bogus keys, and the network would be
partitioned into those who have and those who have not applied the filter.

Would it not be sufficient to be able to mark these
keys with a flag "do not show on queries"? The key
would stay into the database, all the sync-stuff stays
the same. Only when someone wants to fetch the key he
would get an error message (saying: this key cannot
be exported or something like that).

Question would be: Should the key be displayed in
the search indices? Or should it really be hidden
from all user requests?

Olaf

--
Dipl.Inform. Olaf Gellert                  PRESECURE (R)
Consultant,                              Consulting GmbH