sks-devel

Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page

From: Sacha J. Bernstein
Subject: Re: [Sks-devel] Displaying user images on index page
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:41:22 -0500

Even if we didn't display the images in SKS, you could make the argument that we're still storing and propagating an unknown image. Personally, I think it would be reasonable to display images within the recommended size (whatever GPG and PGP report), and perhaps have the ability for the admin to disable image generation on a keyserver by keyserver basis.

Unfortunately, PGP keys can be used for a number of purposes they were not intended, and the keyserver network provides a distribution path for that data. I could for example just as easily embed copyrighted literature, software, or music into my PGP key if I wanted to. PGP keys already provide a database of probably-valid email addresses to send unsolicited mail to, but thankfully, I don't think the types of people that do that have realized that yet.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that while displaying images could be a problem, it doesn't appear that anyone is abusing it right now, and by just not displaying the image, I don't think it solves the problem (or any of the other potential problems) since it's still embedded in the key we distribute. So I think we should display or not display the image based on other reasons, such as technical difficulty, desirability by users and keyserver admins, and compatibility with existing software.

Just my opinion....  feel free to ignore it :-)

Sacha