slipstream-devel

Re: [Slipstream-devel] Rider upper body roll and translation

From: Simon Fendall
Subject: Re: [Slipstream-devel] Rider upper body roll and translation
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:59:00 +1300

Hi, Dimitris,
Thanks for the interesting read. I'm quite surprised those solutions
helped the wheelie situation; perhaps the gyroscopics of the wheel are
enough to keep in facing relatively forwards.

I am generally opposed to solutions like a shift throttle cut, simply
because these are direct rider assists in order to get around
limitations of the controller. Cutting the throttle while shifting with
a controller such as a wheel, set of bars etc should be quite intuitive.
Then again, modern racing motorcycles do already have in-built
'quick-shift' systems which cut the throttle for you. In terms of SBK or
MotoGP cutting the throttle is a thing of the past.

I think solution A is heading in the right direction for the rider
model; When a rider is on a bike that is accelerating, they have most of
their weight on their rear/legs and little on their arms. If the rider
is to apply a steering torque, it is almost entirely relying on how much
effort they put into the bars with their arms. When a rider is in a
braking situation, the majority of their body weight is on their arms,
so the act of putting their weight onto one arm rather than the other
produces a much greater steering torque. Most riders do this without
realising. You've partly picked this up with your solution A, but you
should also incorporate the reverse into your rider model. It's really
quite obvious how much harder it is to turn in while braking in
slipstream than in real life.

I don't have anything really against solution B. You do see in racing
that when changing sides under acceleration, the real bikes do often
slam to lock as the riders try to force them over. I haven't experienced
how exaggerated this head-shake is, but it seems plausible and realistic
that a head-shake should be there.

Si