Re: [Social-discuss] Federation

From: Melvin Carvalho
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Federation
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:02:20 +0200

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:10 AM, freepage-TEAM<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/24/2009 07:55 PM, Ted Smith wrote:
>>

>> Personally, I'd be in favor of making a seperate thing, the Libre Social
>> protocol or something.
>
> +1 in favour of Libre Social Protocol (could call it LiSP, though I think
> not everyone will agree)

There's some work that's been done in this area, some items mentioned above.

Of course OMB is important but also, but in my time I've come accross:

- Distributed Social Networking Protocol DSNP - http://www.complang.org/dsnp/

A newish but well thought out take on building an distributed soc net
protocol.  Also a working prototype is being built.

- http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/

Retroshare I dont know that much about, but seems a secure client side protocol

- Helloworld - http://www.helloworld-network.org/cms/en/introduction/

By Markus Ackermann will be a pure java based distributed social
network and also firefox plug.  It is about 90% built from what I
understand, and is a technically strong architecture with high privacy
and security.

- The TIm Berners Lee 3.0 Architecture - http://esw.w3.org/topic/WriteWebOfData

Obviously very sem web oreiented, but with a bridge to current
technologies, much of the stuff is bleeding edge.  I personally favour
this approach, due to the sheer power and extensibility.  Though may
not be practical for this project, as some of the edge cases are not
yet ironed out, hopefully can provide some ideas.  There is also
related the SIOC project of course ( http://sioc-project.org/ )

I'm not suggesting any of this work is copied or used, but I hope this
provides some ideas for creating a protocol.

>From the ground up I think the first challenge is remote friending.
Not quite sure how OMB does this, but I know it's possible in
laconi.ca -- though it need not be a complicated problem.  I would
suggest keeping identities as URI's and then for a relationship have a
secure message transmit along the lines of <A> knows <B>.