Re: [Social-discuss] The Case for Branching Elgg?

From: Jason Self
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] The Case for Branching Elgg?
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 19:33:50 -0700 (PDT)

I have spent time playing around with gnusocial.me today. I like what I see so
far. More work seems to be needed, but Elgg could make for a good start. I also
have two questions:

1. Plugins appear to be licensed separately. Is there a way to ensure that Elgg
plugins will only be free software? Since GNU Social is official GNU software it
seems important not to use other software that might recommend non-free software
(like how Firefox does through non-free plugins, hence the need for Icecat.)

2. I thought that one of the reasons for creating something from scratch was so
that the FSF could hold the copyright (see "Why not use existing free software
social networking code?" at [1].) If Elgg is used it seems that the FSF would
not hold the copyright on the entire thing?

[1] http://groups.fsf.org/wiki/Group:GNU_Social