Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?

From: Pablo Martin
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Interoperability?
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:49:01 +0200

On 28/05/10 13:24, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 05/28/2010 12:09 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>> PS as a side the lorea.cc folks are doing some great work creating a
>> federated version of elgg (using many of the technologies above), and I
>> am helping them to test.  There should be a working demo later in the
>> year ... if it's considered useful, I think we'd be open to donating
>> code the code to the GNU Social Project
>
> Cool!

If other people want to test and hack, we have the software "ready":
https://bitbucket.org/rhizomatik/lorea_production.

A mix of elgg code, own code, and community enhanced code. We care that
it will be free. As the name implies, it is used in production. We
leverage not only elgg, but also dokuwiki, gpg, psyced, postfix, a lot
of libraries and protocols so, anywhere, work in that direction is good.

It can be installed as easy as elgg (providing you have to install it
into a web and database server) but comes with a lot of goodies inside:

 * foaf+ssl: works for login and for claiming identities
(impersonating). Comes with key manager.
 * ostatus: already allows to federate sites and participate remotely on
some item types (cant yet interoperate properly with other services like
statusnet).
 * oauth: system ready so users can do the oauth dance and privilege
servers over other ones (for "remote control").
 * gpg: users can have their keys and the system will send them
encrypted messages
 * mailing lists: all groups (can) have mailing lists with some gpg
capabilities
 * wikis: all groups (can) have dokuwikis

Note some features require extra server config on a per-plugin basis (2
or 3 like the mailing list and foaf+ssl).

All of this needs work, both on the libraries, the browsers and the
servers ;).

Then, we have a development server with experimental things, like
psyc/xmpp support, some better rdf in the works... everyone is invited
to play there.

You can install the software both  in a server or in a local computer
yourself, and expect to be able to interoperate to some extent. Even if
you don't have a dns name since you can delegate part of the trust to
some other server.

Note, all of this is not for the faint of heart... we expect
administrators of networks to keep up to date with the software so we
can keep pushing forward on the federation as fast as possible. The
software in production changes almost daily, and runs about 10 small to
micro social networks  (so it's pretty safe, a good playground for
federation, and everyone is up for the ride).

On the federation side, we're looking for other softwares who support
groups and would like to federate them, so we can have cross-network
(and cross implementation) groups and discussions.

For admins and devs of any other software, we are also keen to help
developing, debugging, discussing and so on.

kisses
 p.