Re: [Social-discuss] Adoption dynamics (and why your intuition fails)

From: Dan Brickley
Subject: Re: [Social-discuss] Adoption dynamics (and why your intuition fails)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 22:36:51 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Nathan <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you've got an open decentralized social network.. then why would you need
> to invite anybody? to where exactly? and why a 'big bang', I can see why if
> you're 'just another silo' trying to play catch up with twitter, facebook et
> al - but not for this - unless of course, I completely misunderstand what
> everybodies thinking & talking about.
>
> Regardless though, virality (?sp), is completely built in - make good,
> useful tools, where the user controls their own destiny+data, and you're
> done - build it well and the masses will come, build it badly and.. well no
> loss in the scheme of things because other will build good things :)
>
> AFAICT, this isn't really a flash in the pan thing, a miss it and you've
> messed up scenario - this is the ground work for the next generation of the
> web - pretty much an unstoppable movement.
>
> :)

Yes, the real distributed 'social network' is just the Web itself; or
if you prefer a more sociological reading of 'social network', then
it's just all of humanity. No blink-and-you-missed it. No nagging
emails hassling you to join and telling you what you're missing. Just
"people and networks and stuff." (from the archives,
http://rdfweb.org/mod.html)

But +1 on picking a few deployed tools and working through some
user-facing integration scenarios

cheers,

Dan