straw-devel

[Straw-devel] Debian Development

From: Jonathan Pietkiewicz
Subject: [Straw-devel] Debian Development
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:50:18 -0600

Has anyone had any experience developing apps for inclusion with
debian?

I'm working from the debian distro and I thought it might be useful
early on to have the debian/rules sent right out with the code ala
mplayer.  The rules file is like the makefile for debian package
creation.  I'm sure I have butchered the description of what the
file does, but it was kinda nice to download mplayer and be able to
install it on my system as a debian package w/o any fuss.

I have not yet sent an email to the package maintainer, but I have
the source from debian.org and maybe we can go from there:

see <http://www.matilda-project.org/straw/straw.tgz> for what
'ships'
from the debian source servers.  Note that is a temporary fix since
I could not include a link directly to debian.org since their
package search funtionality is down for the moment.

I also had some issues with getting changes in the glade files to
reflect when I built the project.  Here's what I did:

1) opened .glade file.
2) changed some things.
3) built glade
4) made project and installed
5) ran straw

none of my changes were applied.  Any hints?

I'm pretty new to linux development, but I would love to contribute
to the project as much as possible.  I love straw and would really
like to see it grow - especially since it is the aggregator of my
choice in the debian distro.

Jonathan Pietkiewicz