straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Debian Development

From: Jan Alonzo
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Debian Development
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:04:09 +1100

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 12:50, Jonathan Pietkiewicz wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience developing apps for inclusion with
> debian?
>
> I'm working from the debian distro and I thought it might be useful
> early on to have the debian/rules sent right out with the code ala
> mplayer.  The rules file is like the makefile for debian package
> creation.  I'm sure I have butchered the description of what the
> file does, but it was kinda nice to download mplayer and be able to
> install it on my system as a debian package w/o any fuss.
>
> I have not yet sent an email to the package maintainer, but I have
> the source from debian.org and maybe we can go from there:
>
> see <http://www.matilda-project.org/straw/straw.tgz> for what
> 'ships'
> from the debian source servers.  Note that is a temporary fix since
> I could not include a link directly to debian.org since their
> package search funtionality is down for the moment.

Please don't do this. Straw has already been packaged by Ross Burton and
is already in Debian's archives. You should be able to get the source
package for straw which already includes a rules file.

Kindly go to http://www.debian.org for more info on its package
management.

> I also had some issues with getting changes in the glade files to
> reflect when I built the project.  Here's what I did:
>
> 1) opened .glade file.
> 2) changed some things.
> 3) built glade

Built like how? It seems you're used to "The Microsoft Way" of doing
things.

> 4) made project and installed
> 5) ran straw
>
> none of my changes were applied.  Any hints?

1) Modify .glade file.
2) Save.
3) Edit Makefile. Make sure you point PREFIX somewhere like '/usr/local'
        then save your changes.
4) Type 'make && make install'.

You should be able to run Straw after that.

> I'm pretty new to linux development, but I would love to contribute
> to the project as much as possible.  I love straw and would really
> like to see it grow - especially since it is the aggregator of my
> choice in the debian distro.

Thank you very much. There are lots of ways you can help like QA,
documentation, contributing code, etc...

What version of Straw are you using btw?

Cheers,

PS. Just note that this list is about Straw development. There's also a
#straw channel in irc.gimpnet.org. We might be able to help you there
with your 'first steps' in Debian as well.

--
Jan Alonzo <address@hidden>