straw-devel

Re: [Straw-devel] Debian Development

From: Jonathan Pietkiewicz
Subject: Re: [Straw-devel] Debian Development
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:54:04 -0600

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 08:04:09PM +1100, Jan Alonzo wrote:
> Please don't do this. Straw has already been packaged by Ross Burton and
> is already in Debian's archives. You should be able to get the source
> package for straw which already includes a rules file.

Right.  I guess what I was getting at was suggesting that the
project include the rules file with source distributed from savanah.

I don't know if this is propoer, but it was inspired, as I said
earlier, by mplayer including a rules file with it's source code
from the project site.

> > I also had some issues with getting changes in the glade files to
> > reflect when I built the project.  Here's what I did:
> >
> > 1) opened .glade file.
> > 2) changed some things.
> > 3) built glade
>
> Built like how? It seems you're used to "The Microsoft Way" of doing
> things.
>
> 1) Modify .glade file.
> 2) Save.
> 3) Edit Makefile. Make sure you point PREFIX somewhere like
> '/usr/local'
>       then save your changes.
> 4) Type 'make && make install'.

I don't know what you mean by saying the "Microsoft Way", but what I
did was this:

$ glade-2 &

In glade-2 GTK Interface Designer:

  Project->Open straw/glade/straw.glade

  made my changes to the interface (added tool tips, accelerators,
  etc)

  Project->Build (to output the new glade source)
  Project->Exit

$ make
# make install

No changes were present.

> > I'm pretty new to linux development, but I would love to contribute
> > to the project as much as possible.  I love straw and would really
> > like to see it grow - especially since it is the aggregator of my
> > choice in the debian distro.
>
> Thank you very much. There are lots of ways you can help like QA,
> documentation, contributing code, etc...

When I figure out python you can count on some code.  Right now I'm trying
to assess the project and see what I can make the most headway on.
I'm leaning toward documentation, since I have much experiance in
this area and it will put me in a situation to have to learn the
software inside-out.

> What version of Straw are you using btw?

Straw 0.21.1 from Debian/testing.

>PS. Just note that this list is about Straw development. There's also a
> #straw channel in irc.gimpnet.org. We might be able to help you there
> with your 'first steps' in Debian as well.

Right.  It was kinda and ask for help and an suggestion email rolled
into one.  Sorry if I misused the list.  I do not wish to be a
liability to the project at all, but rather someone to help it grow
quickly and in a good fashion.

jdp