Re: [STUMP] questions

From: Eric Wolf
Subject: Re: [STUMP] questions
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:00:26 +0100

Mostafa Razavi <address@hidden> writes:

> It isn't in that list. All the fonts in the Font Path are in
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/ while the ttf fonts are in
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype. I tried adding that to the list with "xset
> fp+" but I got a "bad font path element" error. I also tried googling
> to learn a bit more about fonts in X, but damn, anything I find is at
> least a few years old (references to the late xfree86 are
> abundant). Seems like the last time people had font problems was
> several years ago!
>
> Question is, if the ttf fonts are not in the font path, how come emacs
> can use them?

emacs uses fontconfig and xft nowadays. I don't know if stumpwm
uses xft, but "grep -iR xft *" and "grep -iR fontc *" in the
stumpwm sources didn't get a result, so I assume it doesn't.

As "grep -iR xft *" in the sources for the debian package
of cl-clx-sbcl didn't turn up anything, I doubt that clx
provides support for xft. And stumpwm uses clx to communicate
with the X server, so no xft in stumpwm too, I assume.

Sorry to disappoint you,

Eric