[STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...

From: Bill Zimmerly
Subject: [STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 02:22:02 -0500

Hello StumpWM Developers,

My name is Bill Zimmerly and I am new to using this window manager.

I think it shows tremendous promise as exactly the WM I've been looking for, but it's sometimes difficult to find the information I need to modify it.

So far, I have a good .stumpwmrc file that does a lot of what I want to do in configuring stumpwm at startup, but there is one area that I find bewilderingly complex: startup applications and configuration of their windows! (Something that I can see is a STRENGTH of stumpwm, but I just can't seem to "grok" how.)

Can someone show me some exact startup code that will do this? (See below)

Workspace 1 (3 windows)
Top/Left = Xterm
Bottom/Left = Totem
Right = Firefox

Workspace 2 (2 windows)
Left = Xterm
Right = Emacs

I also get confused by what exactly a "group" is. I think it's the same as a "workspace" in Gnome, for example, but I'm just not sure.

Thank you!
- Bill