Re: [STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...

From: Servilio Afre Puentes
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 15:16:10 -0400

Bill Zimmerly <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Servilio Afre Puentes <
> address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Bill Zimmerly <address@hidden> writes:
>>
> Are the groups without the :create flag already created?
>>

> How can I tell?
>
> Keep in mind that this is the only startup example in the doc directory, so
> I'm given no instructions on what to do other than to rename it to
> .stumpwmrc and start the WM.
>
> If I, for example, enter the Prefix-G command, all I see is a message that
> says, "1*Default" appear on the screen for about five seconds. (???) What
> next???

You have to create them manually before the use of
define-frame-preference. I have the following in my configuration file:

(when *initializing*
  (mapcar #'gnewbg
          '(
            "mail"
            "org"
            "chat"
            "music"
            "web"
            "admin"
            "devel"
            "docs"
            "monitoring"
            )))

>> If they are,
>> have you checked the conditions (role, class, etc) actually match to the
>> ones that the application windows have? Also, I see that XTerm is
>> matched several times, have checked that not being a source of issues?
>>

> All that I did was to make sure that I have those programs installed
> (XTerm, Ardour, aMule, etc.)

The info command is bound to «C-t i», showing the dimensions, window
number and title of the current window. I added the following:

(define-key *root-map* (kbd "I") "info %g :: %r :: %c")

To show the gravity, role and class. With this is easier to manually
write frame preferences by inspecting the windows you want to write
rules for.

>> Servilio
>
> Servilo, I appreciate your help, and when I finally get this thing working,
> I'll be writing up step-by-step instructions that can be posted to the Wiki
> about how to START using this tool. As it is, all we're given is an example
> file for a .stumpwmrc, some very terse documentation, and a lot of email
> messages archived. I use Google to try to find other information too.
>
> The problem with systems like this are that while it is relatively easy to
> find snippets of information (code) to see how others do things, it is the
> missing information that trips up people! Missing information such as you
> pointed out - how was I to know that groups are supposed to be created
> before running the example RC file the first time?
>
> This is how I will contribute back to the community, once I know how to do
> it myself.

That will be great!

Servilio