Re: [STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...

From: Bill Zimmerly
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Totally confused about starting up applications...
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:11:59 -0500

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Servilio Afre Puentes <address@hidden> wrote:
Bill Zimmerly <address@hidden> writes:
Are the groups without the :create flag already created?

How can I tell?

Keep in mind that this is the only startup example in the doc directory, so I'm given no instructions on what to do other than to rename it to .stumpwmrc and start the WM.

If I, for example, enter the Prefix-G command, all I see is a message that says, "1*Default" appear on the screen for about five seconds. (???) What next???

If they are,
have you checked the conditions (role, class, etc) actually match to the
ones that the application windows have? Also, I see that XTerm is
matched several times, have checked that not being a source of issues?

All that I did was to make sure that I have those programs installed (XTerm, Ardour, aMule, etc.)

Servilio

Servilo, I appreciate your help, and when I finally get this thing working, I'll be writing up step-by-step instructions that can be posted to the Wiki about how to START using this tool. As it is, all we're given is an example file for a .stumpwmrc, some very terse documentation, and a lot of email messages archived. I use Google to try to find other information too.

The problem with systems like this are that while it is relatively easy to find snippets of information (code) to see how others do things, it is the missing information that trips up people! Missing information such as you pointed out - how was I to know that groups are supposed to be created before running the example RC file the first time?

This is how I will contribute back to the community, once I know how to do it myself.

- Bill