Re: [STUMP] Drop the generation of stumpwm.texi

From: Scott Jaderholm
Subject: Re: [STUMP] Drop the generation of stumpwm.texi
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:38:03 -0800

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 10:54 AM, David Bjergaard <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The complexity reduction is one of the benefits which I see in this.
>> There is also the fact that by editing `stumpwm.tex.in', sometimes it is
>> not clear how the manual will turn up because there is still the
>> processing part.
> The with this is that having them coupled does not increase the
> complexity of the workflow:
> 1. edit stumpwm.texi.in (usually to explain pedagogy)
> 2. type "make"
> 3. Read the resulting manual
> 4. Rinse and repeat.
>
> The new proposed work flow would be exactly the same, the only
> difference being that lisp would never be involved in making the
> stumpwm.texi file.

I wanted to share two things that I think might help here.

First, in Emacs when editing a .texi file you can run M-x
makeinfo-buffer and it will show the rendered info page in *info*.
With stumpwm.texi.in this won't do the processing step, but it can be
made to work I believe by customizing the variable
makeinfo-run-command to run something that foo_INFOPTS command in
Makefile.

Second, I wrote this command to render the docstring at point as
texinfo and display it in *info*.

(require 'thingatpt)

(defun jsj-render-docstring-as-texinfo ()
  "Render the docstring at point in an *info* buffer."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (while (in-string-p)
      (backward-char))
    (let ((docstring (thing-at-point 'sexp))
          (file  (make-temp-file "texinfo")))
      (with-temp-file file
        (insert "@setfilename " file " \n"
                "@node Top\n")