Modeling of Crowd Behavior

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Modeling of Crowd Behavior
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 11:17:26 -0700

Stephen C. Upton writes:
 > My question is: has, or is, anyone attempting to look at modeling crowd (of
 > humans) behavior, whether it be with Swarm or without?  This has obvious
 > applications for the justice department and the military, for example.
 > They would like to disrupt a crowd using non-lethal technologies, but
 > certain actions may be more provocative than others.
 >
 > I would appreciate any references any one might have also.

I'm not sure if this is a good reference; but, it sure looks
relevant.

http://cbl.leeds.ac.uk/rodw/papers/tiemec-95/main.html

Also, this seems perfect for a multi-agent system.  I guess the
problem lies in the agent motivation.  If we could identify a common
motivation and behavior that's purely local and that gives rise to a
riot, we could ethically experiment with riot control.

glen