Modeling of Crowd Behavior

From: Stephen C. Upton
Subject: Modeling of Crowd Behavior
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 09:52:35 -0700

As a 1.7 Swarm Lurker (between class 1 and 2 -- closer to 2 - I've finally
got Linux loaded on a new machine! I've previously had Swarm up and running
at another job, but, alas it's not part of my job description here --
yet!), I appreciate the separation of the lists.  As of now, I am more
interested in modeling aspects than specifics about Swarm code -- that will
come :P

My question is: has, or is, anyone attempting to look at modeling crowd (of
humans) behavior, whether it be with Swarm or without?  This has obvious
applications for the justice department and the military, for example.
They would like to disrupt a crowd using non-lethal technologies, but
certain actions may be more provocative than others.

I would appreciate any references any one might have also.

thanx
upton

Stephen C. Upton
TSA-5, MS F602