ABMs

From: Paul Fishwick
Subject: ABMs
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 15:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

I think we are converging on an agreement: ABMs or IBMs (whatever your
preference) will provide good models as long as 1) these particular
models happen to answer the set of questions that you are asking of
the model in the first place, and 2) enough quality data exist to use the
ABMs effectively. In the ATLSS Project (across-trophic simulation of the
Everglades), we are all pretty-much "pro-ABM/IBM" however, I was surprised
to find out that IBMs were still controversial in the Ecology community,
anyway. Maybe some of our Eco-experts could shed some light on this?

-paul