Re: Simulating Individual Behavior

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: Re: Simulating Individual Behavior
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 97 9:56:51 EDT

Hey, Steven!

> Ginger says " For it suggests what kind of terrestrial ecosystems (rather
> safer and easier to manipulate than open ocean :) could conceivably offset
> CO2 emissions." Suggest you glance at Wally Broeker (1991)  Keeping global
>  change honest". Anti-intuitively, calcitic organisms PRODUCE CO2 when
> forming their skeletons. Although once it gets down into the deep-sea
> sediments it's there for a residence time c. 1 million years you have to
> find a way of increasing productivity first. Apart from dumping all our
> cars into the Pacific (Martin iron-feritilisation hypothesis) chances are
> that global warming transients furthur stabilise the mixed layer leading
> to REDUCTION in productivity. Lovelock is probably correct - grow more
> trees (and build timber houses, furniture or bury the crop!!).
>
> With that warming thought, I'll sign off!

    Another paper:  "A large northern hemisphere terrestrial CO2 sink
indicated by the 13C/12C ratio of atmospheric CO2", Science, Aug 25 1995.
Since the title doesn't do much, from the abstract:  "A strong terrestrial
biospheric sink was found in the temperate lattitudes of the Northern
Hemisphere in 1992 and 1993, the -magnitude of which is roughly half that of
the global fossil fuel burning emissions for those years-."

Later,
    Ginger