Re: Simulating Individual Behavior

From: Mattias V. Bertelsen
Subject: Re: Simulating Individual Behavior
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:24:22 -0500 (CDT)

I have a question:  Why would a model need to be either ABM/IBM or
ODE/PDE?  It would seem that a model which even approached natural
complexity would be extremely difficult to construct or analyze if one
held strictly to one paradigm or the other.  I think that Swarm lends
itself quite handily to constructing models where the framework is
agent-based, but the behavior of the agents themselves can be modeled
using differential equations (for cases where the continuity assumption is
justified), statistical models, or explicit behavioral descriptions.

As soon as finals are done with, I am hoping to get started on my "summer
coding project": A Swarm object using multi-layer perceptron code (neural
networks) that functions as a black-box statistical model.  You give it an
input file of data and train a network to fit a statistical distribution.
The object can then be used along the lines of the current distribution
objects in Swarm--hook up a pseudorandom number generator, and pull
numbers out of a distribution which came from real data.  I could see this
being used, for example, as a "weather object":  the intervals between
rain events in a simulated prairie ecosystem are reasonably modeled
without having to model butterflies flapping their wings.  <grin>

Any thoughts?

By the way--I am looking for a graduate program in CS or Ecology to work
with this stuff, starting around the fall of '98.  Any suggestions?

Mattias V. Bertelsen
address@hidden
http://www.spaceship.com/~mattias