Re: Simulating Individual Behavior

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: Simulating Individual Behavior
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 15:05:25 +0100 (BST)

Doug,

thanks for your comments.

Doug Donalson wrote:

> Be careful of this method.  There are at least two
> main problems you can run into.  The first is that you can
> force fit a set of parameters to a model and get a result out
> that matches some experimental data but you have no guarentee
> that you have any more that a pretty picture.

The way to avoid such a force fit that I'm thinking about is
optimizing/evolving the parameter set. Suppose that the parameter set is
optimized with respect to the individuals' fitness (one or a few
definitions of fitness or performance could be used). Then you compare the
result of only those sims with optimized params with real data (in my case
lab data, therefore the variation will be better known hopefully). (Real
data also are the result of (evolutionary)  optimized behavior).  If you
don't get a reasonable match the assumptions about the basic mechanism
will be incorrect or lacking important points.

Does this make sense to you? Do you see a better way to get around the
lack of appropriate, not theoretically biased quality data?

Simply setting parameters to experimental values beforehand could get you
into serious problems also if a tiny deviation of a param has a large
effect and it happens that that experimental value is just a bit wrong...

Jan.