Re: calibration

From: Philippe LAVAL
Subject: Re: calibration
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 13:31:11 -0100

At 16:17 21.04.97 +0000, Alan Penn  wrote:
>[...]
>Try this one. Perhaps the 'calibration' is in the environment. What I mean
>by this is that the configuration of the spatial environment inhabited by
>moving and stationary individuals in the ecosystem could in principle carry
>with it the 'model' (or several models) inherent in patterns of
>co-occupancy of space.
>[...]
>
>Most geographers treat space as 'map space' in that it is essentially open
>and homogeneous in all directions, but as soon as you start to think about
>the space through which we actually move, within and between buildings,
>then the probabilities of co-presence become significantly structured. If
>you then map onto this sort of spatial configuration the locations of
>particular individual's or social groups' facilities, the places they must
>visit regularly in their daily lives, then you can create a structured, but
>essentially probabilitic set of interfaces. You could envisage a single
>spatial configuration coupled to multiple sets of group's 'programmes'
>giving rise to just the sort of latent model with multiple realisations
>that complex things like societies require.
>
>Alan Penn

I like your idea of space being structured by the individuals. In " The
representation of space in an object-oriented computational pelagic
ecosystem", Ecol. Modelling, 88:113-124 (1996), I tried to model space as a
shared resource accessed concurrently by individuals, in a first come,
first served basis. Here it was food that structured space. This approach
was probably adequate because the individuals were identical filter-feeders
competing for a resource distributed unevenly in  (geographical) space.

But if there are different kinds of individuals, it makes sense to consider
constraints in the accessibility of space: stronger individuals (or
individuals with higher capabilities) have access to a larger range of
geographic positions, so they may exploit more resources. Of course
resource distribution still shapes the space, in the sense that where a
resource is absent, even strong individuals get nothing. But the
superposition of different 'ambits' in the same geographic space may better
model the competition, or coexistence, of individuals in space.

Philippe Laval
Station zoologique
B.P. 28 - 06234 Villefranche-sur-Mer CEDEX (France)
address@hidden