Re: Does an agent have "live" on a world???

From: bleydorf
Subject: Re: Does an agent have "live" on a world???
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 00:48:10 -0400

glen e. p. ropella wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>  > Does an agent have to "physically" exist on a give world?  That is if a
>  > simulation create 1000 agents in a population, but only had room for 200
>  > at a time, could they exist in limbo, until they were called into
>  > existence by another agent/or schedule?
>  > Using my problem/solution simulation as an example, lets say a given
>  > problem agent needed to carry 25 solutions, but only had space on the
>  > display to display 8 of them, could the rest "exist" in limbo, until it
>  > decided to drop them, display them, or whatever?
>
> Not only *can* they exist; but, they will exist unless you explicitly
> drop them.  In fact, we recommend doing something akin to this in
> a simulation where the agent population is not constant, i.e. where
> death occurs.  We recommend that the agents are moved from physical
> reality to "purgatory" to await death.
>
> The important distinction is whether or not your agents will be
> static and *not* a part of the coevolutionary, larger, "world"
> that is the process space.  In the reaperQueue example, the agents
> are static and are no longer participating in the integration of
> the world forward in time.  Another example of this would be an
> Agent Cache, where when an agent either wasn't very active or was
> scheduled for removal, is put on a list of inactive agents that
> are available for reinstatement at a later time.  They're still
> not participating in the world, but, could at a later date.
>
> Now, the other kind would be the kind that aren't participating
> in the "space" or the set of spaces upon which some aspect of
> the process is shown, but are still participating in the coevolution
> of the process as a whole.  Say you have 8 solutions actively modifying
> the "space" while the rest aren't.  That doesn't really stop those 17
> from talking to each other and talking to the agents who are modifying
> the space.  They would be like a bunch of angels inspiring some
> bible writers there on earth.  The bible writers are modifying the
> world, but the angels are modifying the bible writers. [grin -- sorry]

Well, the way I saw it was that the 8 agents are visible one the map,
being held by the problem agent, like this:
SSS   But, If the Problem agent wanted to hold more, and there was
SPS   no more room to hold them, I was wondering if they could exist
SSS   without being visible.  the Problem would still sort them with
the visible ones, pick up more, drop some back to the solution space
(either the visible or the invisible) etc.

Its like this, say your on camera, and your carrying cardboard boxes.
Now only the first 8 boxes show, since they are within the camera frame,
but, there are 17 more boxes stacked on top of those eight.  The 17
still exist and can be acted upon, but just aren't visible.