Open systems???

From: JC Wandemberg
Subject: Open systems???
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:44:51 -0600 (MDT)

Hello there:

I have been following the discussion on Alife with some interest since my
research in based on ecological learning, open system theory and the
model of directive correlations by Sommerhoff. However, I feel somewhat
unconfortable with the definitions of "open systems" I have come across.
As someone (whose name escapes me right now) said it, "a system is open if
its environment is NOT empty" i.e., there is NO such thing as a closed
system to begin with unless we want to view one as such for illustration
purposes. In any case, the way I see it (based mostly on Pepper's
contextualism and the Emerys work on design principles) the only
"boundary" a system has is determined by the *relationship* of its
component elements with the environment of their system.

Cheers,
JC