Re: Category Theory and Rosen - some clarifications (i hope 8-))

From: Barry McMullin
Subject: Re: Category Theory and Rosen - some clarifications (i hope 8-))
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:21:02 +0100

James Marshall wrote:
> That`s interesting, when I was taught induction as an under-graduate
> I was always a bit uneasy about how it actually worked... could you
> give me a reference for this Karl Popper? Thanks,

Don't have my Popper books immediately to hand; but this anti-inductivism
was such a core element of his work that you'll probably find in almost
anything of his you look at.  The standard introductions are "Unended Quest",
Popper's "intellectual autobiography" (my copy is a paperback by
Fontana, I think, dated around '75) and Bryan Magee's really slim
introduction to Popperian philosophy called simply "Popper".  For a
big picture both of Popper's work, and his critics, try looking for
the Schilpp volume on Popper, in the "Library of Living Philosophers";
that includes "Unended Quest", a series of critical articles, and
Popper's own "Reply to My Critics": the whole issue of induction
featured large there. Other Popper books to maybe look for would be
"Objective Knowledge", "The Logic of Scientific Discovery", and
the three volumes of "postscripts" to LScD edited by W.W.W. Bartley III.
I hope that's enough for you to work from, but if not I'll dig up more
exact citations.  Oh, you might also check the Popper Web (of which I
am associate editor), although there is no original Popper material
there:

 http://www.eeng.dcu.ie/~tkpw

Enjoy,

- Barry.