Re: Category Theory and Rosen - some clarifications (i hope 8-))

From: James Marshall
Subject: Re: Category Theory and Rosen - some clarifications (i hope 8-))
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:50:42 GMT

Hi Barry,
  I`ve been following the thread on category theory between you and
Glen,

> OK, coming swiftly out of the closet, I point out that I side
> strongly with Karl Popper on the issue of induction (briefly,
> "logical" induction simply doesn't exist; "psychological" induction
> does, is a fascinating subject, but is outside the scope of the
> current conversation). I don't mention this in order to start an
> induction thread (though I sometimes enjoy philosophy too), but
> only to explain my unconsciously cryptic allusion to "creeping
> inductivism".  Unbelievable as it sounds, I sometimes forget
> that, in rejecting induction, I'm currently in a very very tiny
> minority  <shrug>.  For what it's worth, I agree that not allowing
> induction means "we're in trouble" - I just don't think that
> particular trouble is avoidable, so we have to deal with it.  But that
> is going way off topic (though I'll happily continue - out of band -
> if anyone wants).

That`s interesting, when I was taught induction as an under-graduate
I was always a bit uneasy about how it actually worked... could you
give me a reference for this Karl Popper? Thanks,
        James Marshall
James Marshall - Postgraduate Research Student
Artificial Intelligence Group - Department of Computer and Information Science
DeMontfort University - Milton Keynes Campus