Multi-Agent Modeling Language

From: Gulyas Laszlo
Subject: Multi-Agent Modeling Language
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:24:57 +0100

Dear All,

The Systems Laboratory would like to call your attention to its Multi-Agent
Modeling Language (MAML) project.

        http://www.syslab.ceu.hu/maml/

The Multi-Agent Modeling Language project was initiated for agent-based
modeling and simulation. In its current state, it is heavily based on Swarm
functionalities, as its current compiler (xmc) generates Swarm (v1.02 or v1.3)
code which can be compiled again using the appropriate (gcc) compiler.

The main goal of MAML is to provide the functionality of Swarm without the
low-level (mostly C and/or Objective-C) technical burdain. To achieve it
quickly, the current version of MAML defines a macro-language for Swarm. This
macro-level programming introduces higher level concepts of modeling, and
simplifies some constructs already included in Swarm by hiding out technical
details needed to program them. The macro-language nature of MAML, however,
preserves the accessibility of the whole Swarm machinery.

Although the language is still in alpha stage, we do believe that, by using
the MAML-defined structure and the MAML keywords, the task of creating a
simulation in Swarm becomes much easier for both programmers and non-
programmers. We must note that the current version of the language should
be used with some programming background. We believe, however, that our work
to date, although unfinished, has already significantly lowered  the level
of programming knowledge necessary.

Laszlo Gulyas, in the name of
The MAML Developer Team
Systems Laboratory