Re: A whiff of reality...

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Re: A whiff of reality...
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:28:11 -0700

Well, that is most interesting!  I never would have thought that a
model/paper would be rejected for not being "individual enough".  Usually it
is from the opposite end.

Steve, at least from looking at the quote, you got an idiot, don't take it
for any more than that.  (After saying that, I hope its not someone I
know...)  The opinion quoted is just personal predjuce, not science.  The
issues he quotes are all applicable to home built IBMs, and for that matter,
analysis of analytical models.  It is true that the modeller should make
sure that they use a package because it fits their system and not try to
force the system into a package.  But once again, this is not just am IBM
issue, Theoretical Ecologists have forced real systems into ODE formats for
years without taking into account the assumptions necessary to do so.  (In a
sense, this is really the theme of my dissertation.)

BTW:  You also had a paper into Ecology, any word?

Cheers,

   D3